Chancellor's Pt. was first called Calvert Pt. as it was surveyed in 1659 for Phillip Calvert who was Chancellor of the Maryland Province. Somehow it switched from being Calvert's pt. to Chancellor's Pt.
Note the "Indian Towns" on the Dorchester side of the "Chaptanck" River. This was a reservation for the Choptank Indians established in 1669 and lasted until 1822. The Indians were charged six beaver skins annually for rent of land that used to be theirs.